Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Roll Video

I always loved in grade school when the teacher was too depressed or hung-over to teach the class and just put on a VHS of Raiders of the Lost Ark, or something.

As promised, I made a little demonstration for those not daring enough for the svn or nightly (you can admit it, we won't think less of you).

(thats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFg0313x-iU, for the embeded video challenged.)

Sorry about the pixelation, it's hard to make out how ridiculously hip my music collection is.

It's still a little slow for a lot a biases. Expecially on my aging thinkpad, while trying to record video. That's something I will be working on. The algorithm is gradually growing faster and more complicated. I suppose that's how that works sometimes.

For next week, I hope to get saving and loading ironed out, as well as putting more work into the solver. After that I have the much more interesting task of writing news types of biases and making sure they don't take forever to solve. I've already got a lot of interesting suggestions which hadn't occurred to me. It's going to be fun to see what this can really do.

8 comments:

reldruH said...

Is this something you just committed? The latest update of amarok nightly has the dynamic playlists section, but no 'add biases' button, it's a preset random playlist or nothing. Unless there's something I'm missing?

Tim Bocek said...

@reldruh, it's in the new nightly (which just went up)

Tried it out and it works great! One HCI nitpick, though, is that I expected to be able to click on the words "new bias" to add a bias - it took me a few moments of puzzling as to why it wasn't working before I figured out to click the "+" instead.

Unknown said...

@tbocek Yes, this happened to me as well. I think we should make the heading clickable too.

--Mark Kretschmann

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Can‘t wait! :-D

Anonymous said...

"faster and more complicated"

At least it's not getting "slower and more complicated" ;)

Porcel said...

Just a small comment from a translator and linguist. For those who are not scientists or software developers, the word "bias" does not have a good connotation or a nice ring to it.

How about "Filter Selection" or "Playlist Generator" or something a little less intimidating than Bias.

I hope I don't come off sounding negative as I love Amarok and the work you people do.

Unknown said...

What's background music?

Daniel Caleb Jones said...

St.MPA3b:
Good Weekend, by Art Brut